John T. Hamilton
Phone: (859) 252-9000
Fax: (859) 233-4269
John T. Hamilton joined Gess, Mattingly, & Atchison in 2001. His principal areas of practice are Bankruptcy, Financial Reorganization and Litigation.
Mr. Hamilton began his legal career in Pikeville, Kentucky in 1978 and moved his practice to Lexington in 1980. Upon returning to Lexington Mr. Hamilton was appointed as a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee for the Eastern District of Kentucky. From 1980, Mr. Hamilton continued to serve as a trustee and managed his own law office engaging in a wide variety of practice. Since joining GMA his practice is more focused on bankruptcy and litigation related matters.
Mr. Hamilton has been actively engaged in all aspects of Bankruptcy practice since 1980. While serving for over 15 years as a panel trustee, he has also represented numerous lenders and businesses in Chapter 11 Reorganization cases and Chapter 7 Liquidations. He also has extensive experience representing consumer debtors in individual Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 wage-earner plans. His practice includes significant litigation in Bankruptcy Courts both as a trustee and in representing debtors and creditors.
As an active member of the Kentucky Academy of Trial Attorneys and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Mr. Hamilton is committed to excellence in litigation in a number of forums. His practice experience includes auto accidents and other negligence claims; business disputes and contract litigation; and, bank collection matters. He also has extensive involvement in client representation before Kentucky administrative agencies and boards.
While Mr. Hamilton has recovered judgments for his clients exceeding one million dollars, he strongly believes in actively pursuing settlement options in every case to reach the most favorable and cost effective result for each particular client.
Areas of Practice:
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Bankruptcy Reorganization
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Chapter 7 & 13 Bankruptcies
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury/Wrongful Death
- Medical Negligence
- Kentucky, 1978
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 2004
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky J.D., 1978
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky B.G.S., 1975
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Fayette County Bar Association, Member
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, Member
- Kentucky Academy of Trial Attorneys, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Kentucky, 1980 – 1995, Trustee
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member