Lori B. Shelburne
Phone: (859) 252-9000
Fax: (859) 233-4269
Lori B. Shelburne joined Gess, Mattingly & Atchison as an associate in 1997. She became a shareholder in 2004. Her principal areas of practice include Domestic Relations, Divorce and Litigation.
Prior to joining Gess, Mattingly & Atchison, Ms. Shelburne worked as an Assistant Fayette County Attorney as a prosecutor of interstate child support matters. Before serving as a prosecutor, Ms. Shelburne engaged in a general practice. Since joining Gess, Mattingly & Atchison, Ms. Shelburne has become focused primarily on Domestic Relations matters including divorce, child custody determinations, child support, alimony, paternity, prenuptial agreements, division of retirement incident to divorce, and domestic violence matters.
Ms. Shelburne handles all levels of Domestic Relations cases, from cases involving a simple post-dissolution review of child support, to complex custody and property division matters. Ms. Shelburne is experienced in analyzing voluminous financial information in cases involving the tracing of non-marital property claims. She routinely works with forensic accounting experts in cases involving the value of closely held businesses or professional practices. She has substantial experience working with child psychology professionals in the context of custody matters.
Ms. Shelburne’s belief is that her primary role is to help her clients resolve their problems with a settlement that is reasonable under the law and the unique facts of each case. If that is not possible, however, she will pursue the litigation process with passion and attention to detail.
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law
- Commonwealth of Kentucky, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1996
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky
Professional Highlights & Honors:
- Annual Update of Kentucky Supreme Court Family Law Decisions
Kentucky Bar Association Annual Conventions, 2010-2013
- Standards for Valuing Business in Divorce
- Mediation & Trial Preparation
- Interstate Child Support Enforcement
- Elements of Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution Retirement Plans
- Standards for Custody Modification