Spencer D. Noe
Phone: (859) 252-9000
Fax: (859) 233-4269
Spencer Noe practices in the areas of litigation, energy and commercial law. His practice also includes defense litigation in areas of commercial loss, employment law, municipal law and energy-related matters.
Spencer has significant trial experience in both state and federal courts, which includes constitutional law, civil rights, due process, governmental employment law and insurance law.
He has appeared before the Public Service Commission in the areas of rate process, cellular phone towers and certificates of need in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. He is a former registered lobbyist and has appeared before administrative hearings and legislative committees on behalf of clients, such as municipalities and utility companies, and has assisted with drafting of legislation.
Having served as General Counsel to the Republican Party of Kentucky for 16 years., he has considerable experience in election law and has appeared before the Registry of Election Finance on numerous occasions.
He is a former executive director of management committee of the Kentucky State Republican Party, served as Kentucky counsel to the Bush-Cheney 2004 committee, former counsel to the Kentucky State Republican Party and was a member of the executive committee for the Kentucky Center for Public Issues. Spencer was a member of former Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher’s transition team, responsible for organizing Gov. Fletcher’s legal staff. Governor Fletcher appointed Spencer to the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority Board, where he served a term as president. He serves on the Kentucky Judicial Campaign Conduct Committee and served as its president for six years.
While serving as assistant Commonwealth Attorney for Fayette County (1970-1972), Spencer prosecuted approximately 150 criminal jury trials.
Areas of Practice:
- Business Litigation
- Energy Law
- Government Relations
- Insurance Defense
- Commonwealth of Kentucky
- State of Tennessee (inactive)
- State of West Virginia (inactive)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- University of Tennessee (Knoxville, Tn.)
- Tennessee Wesleyan College (Athens, Tn.)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Fayette County Bar Association, Member
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member
- Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital, Board of Directors, 2010-Present
- Kentucky Center for Public Issues, Board of Directors, 1988-1992
- Kentucky Judicial Campaign Conduct Committee, 2006-2011
Board Member & Executive Committee Member
- Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority Board, Member, 2003-2007
Professional Highlights & Honors:
- AV DistinguishedTM peer review rating, Martindale-Hubbell®
- Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney, Fayette County, 1970-1972
- General Counsel, Republican Party of Kentucky, 1992-2010
- Governor Ernie Fletcher, Transition Team, 2003
- Conducted interviews for positions throughout state government
- Governor Matt Bevin, Transition Team, 2015
Conducted interviews for Energy Cabinet positions
Conducted interviews for legal counsel positions throughout state government
Selected Publications & Presentations:
- Spencer has lectured on bad faith insurance issues and employment law, and has participated in various seminars.